Monday, April 25, 2005

You would expect...

...some service.
I have another type of tires during the winter; better grip on snowy roads, etc. Really makes a difference, you know! Anyway, of course this means those tires have to be replaced by their summer counterpart about now, and back to winter profile somewhere beginning of November.
Back in the days I paid for my own tires, I had this little shop where I bought the tires. Worked like a charm: just give them a call, make the appointment, and voila. And at very reasonable prices, too!
Nowadays, winter and summer tires come with the package, that is, the lease company (yes, I have a leased car - came with the territory) arranges for the tires to be changed. They made a deal with one nationally operating tire fitter to arrange for storage of the unused set of tires, and the exchange of tires. So far, so good. The speed with which all this operates, was not what I was used to; where I was used to giving a call when the whether forecast signaled it was about time for winter tires, now I had to wait for the tires to be shipped from the central storage to the outlet in my town. I would then get a call (never happened!) to make an appointment.
They changed all that. They've gone modern. You now have to log on to a special web site, and direct your tires to or from the central storage. You will get an email, and then you may call for an appointment.

If only...

Of course, the website is of poor design, and uses typical IE codes; my FireFox cannot navigate through the menu...
Three weeks after commissioning my summer tires to the local outlet, no email or phone call (well, that happened before) I went by ("no appointments needed") to have the sets exchanged. No trace of my tires. Three phone calls later, it turned out the system had suffered an outage, and failed to sent emails. The central storage facility did not know I wanted my tires to be exchanged...

Makes you wonder...
...about their backups. Did they not have a mechanism to have the requests resent? I know, I build that into similar system I design and build. Every step along the line.
...about "progress". It sure doesn't feel like progress, or better service; instead of picking up the phone, and getting things done, I now have to use a cranky website, check my mail, and pick up the phone.

No comments: