Thursday, April 23, 2009

Database agnostic and Hibernate

You know, there once was a time I genuinely loved Java. I thought it would be a great language with even better security. Then came V0.8, and we had to rewrite everything we'd done so far during the class...
Since then, I changed. Java stepped out of the sandbox, was even tangled with by Microsoft, and I've become a bitter old man. I've seen too many Java "programmers" that just select from table a, and from table b, sort the a results, sort the b results, join a and b and discard 99% of the result set , and then complain about the performance of the database.

This entry made my life happier; maybe it is not "just me" - read the April, 22nd 2009 entries.

Grin.
By the way: java programmers: read up on ref_cursors...

1 comment:

Terry said...

I don't think that process is unique to Java programmers - our C# programmers have the same problem. Of course, when they do come up with a query that runs on the db server, it is full of NOT INs and subqueries in the SELECT clause and other gruesome stuff, and again, when it performs poorly, it's the database's fault...